Senior Commercial Real Estate Loan Officer
SALARY RANGE: $90,000 – $110,000
ABOUT CITY FIRST ENTERPRISES
City First Enterprises helps achieve racial, economic, and social equity by providing underinvested communities with access to capital and financial expertise. A social impact loan fund, our borrowers are entrepreneurs and innovators who work in affordable housing, education, small businesses, the nonprofit sector, and on climate-focused initiatives, in particular green energy. With decades of experience as a Community Development Financial Institution, or CDFI, CFE has an unparalleled legacy of frontline community development in the DC and Baltimore metropolitan areas, and will be expanding to serve the Los Angeles metro area later this year.
CFE is part of the City First family of organizations, including City First Bank.
The Senior Commercial Real Estate Loan Officer will work in a dynamic, collaborative environment, playing a leadership role in a fast-growing nonprofit community loan fund that is committed to mission-oriented lending. The ideal candidate will have robust financial analysis and writing skills.
In close collaboration with the credit and lending team, the Senior Commercial Real Estate Loan Officer is responsible for leading critical aspects of the lending origination cycle, from initial client interactions, to reviewing financial data, to assessing credit risk, and then structuring transactions. In collaboration with the organization’s Chief Credit Officer, they will perform financial analysis and provide credit recommendations based on a review of all underwriting criteria. As part of a compact lending team, responsibilities will expand beyond core credit analysis, playing an essential role in business development efforts and client relationship management. Versatility and flexibility across a broad spectrum of intellectual and business tasks are essential.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Independently conduct financial statement analysis and interprets them, delivering written reviews of financial information
- In collaboration with senior staff, conduct credit analyses for individual transactions and prepare memos for Loan Committee consideration
- Support other senior staff on loan originations from beginning to end
- Collaborate with Loan Closing Specialist in working with borrowers throughout the closing process
- Independently analyze figures around economic development metrics, including designing and implementing client-focused surveys
- Work in partnership with senior team members on business development activities, including participating in client and/or prospect calls and representing the organization in meetings with potential business partners
- Day-to-day functions may include:
- Engaging with existing borrowers or potential clients
- Creating and analyzing financial statement spreads
- Identifying information needed to complete an analysis by reviewing a credit file
- Conducting sectoral and business model research relevant to loan applications under review
- Performing interim and annual financial covenant compliance (loan monitoring) in close collaboration with Portfolio Manager
- Contacting borrowers to solicit updated financial information as required
- Other duties as may be deemed necessary and appropriate
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, economics, finance, or equivalent combination of training and experience from a four-year college or university
- Experience underwriting real estate transactions, conducting business analyses, and leading transaction execution
- The ideal candidate has 4-8 years of experience in commercial real estate and/or commercial lending, working on credit and financial analysis, deal structuring, and client relationship management
- Strong writing skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Experience or interest in working with diverse low-income communities in the DC metro area
- Proven ability to build relationships with potential clients and business partners
- Ability to work independently
- Interest in community development, racial equity, and inclusion
In short, we are looking for an individual who would help us improve how we work day-to-day and maximize the growth and impact of our organization in the long term. We seek a team member who will provide competent, thorough, courteous, and efficient service to other team members, as well as our external stakeholders, with minimal direction, guidance, and oversight.
In addition to a competitive salary of $90,000-$110,000, commensurate to experience, CFE offers a generous benefits package that includes employee-sponsored health and dental, life insurance, a health savings account with annual employer contributions, a retirement plan with employer matching, paid parental leave, and a generous paid time off program.
Our robust benefits package includes:
- 403b with employer match
- Medical and dental insurance with employer contribution
- $2,800 annual HSA employer contribution for a family; $1,400 for an individual
- 16 days combined vacation and personal days to start; more after three years
- 11 paid holidays
- 5 paid sick days
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible time for personal appointments
- Work from home or the office as desired
- Paid transportation (Metro or parking)
- Employer-paid life insurance
WORKING AT CFE
CFE offers a unique, start-up-like work environment that is open, innovative, and collaborative. We are committed to serving the communities we work and live in by leveraging financial tools, creativity, and technology. CFE is the right fit for intellectually ambitious individuals, willing to work hard and always holding oneself accountable to a high bar of performance.
We are dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our work and hiring practices. City First Enterprises’ mission is entirely focused on equality and economic inclusion, and we believe that diversity in opinion and background only helps further our goals.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone screen on a rolling basis.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
CFE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of ethnicity, age, religion (and lack thereof), disability that can reasonably be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition (physical or mental), AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, and veteran status.