Team Lead, Senior Commercial Real Estate Loan Officer
Salary range: $95,000 – $125,000
ABOUT CITY FIRST ENTERPRISES
City First Enterprises (CFE) is a financial institution working at the intersection of financial innovation and impact investment in the quest for a more equitable economy. CFE’s capital allocation vehicle is the Equitable Growth Fund, a loan fund designed to provide accessible debt capital to entrepreneurs, innovators, and change-makers working in affordable housing, small businesses, education, nonprofits, community facilities, green energy, and commercial real estate in the Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
CFE is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), a designation given by the United States Treasury to organizations expanding economic opportunity in low-income communities by providing access to financial products and services for residents and businesses. CFE is part of the City First Family of organizations, including City First Bank.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at https://www.cfenterprises.org/
The Team Lead, Senior Commercial Real Estate Loan Officer will directly report to the Chief Lending Officer (CLO), support the Chief Credit Officer (CCO) in management of CFE’s loan portfolio and assist in leading and coordinating the activities of a team of Junior Loan Officers to achieve Commercial Lending production objectives. The ideal person for the position knows how to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment and has robust financial analysis and writing skills. In addition, they seek to play a leadership role in a fast-growing nonprofit community loan fund that is committed to mission-oriented lending across the region.
In close collaboration with the CLO and lending team, the Team Lead, Senior Commercial Real Estate Loan Officer is responsible for leading critical aspects of the lending origination cycle, from initial client interactions, reviewing financial data, assessing credit risk, to structuring transactions. In collaboration with the organization’s CCO, they will perform financial analysis and provide credit recommendations based on reviewing all underwriting criteria. Attention to detail and ability to research and resolve issues as they arise is critical to the position. As part of a compact lending team, the role’s responsibilities will expand beyond core credit analysis, playing an essential role in business development efforts and clients relationship management. Versatility and flexibility across a broad spectrum of intellectual and business tasks are essential.
Additional responsibilities include providing competent, thorough, courteous, and efficient customer service to internal and external customers with minimal direction, guidance, and oversight.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports CLO on loan originations from beginning to end.
- Independently reviews preliminary due diligence materials to assess loan viability and make recommendations to CLO regarding loan structure.
- In collaboration with CLO and CCO, conducts credit analyses for individual transactions and prepares underwriting memos for Loan Committee consideration that incorporate analysis of guarantors, market information, historical and pro forma financial information, debt service capacity and collateral to assess the overall risk of a transaction.
- Develops new – and expand existing – commercial loan relationships through targeted calling and community relations work, consistent with the CFE’s risk parameters.
- Develops and delivers status reports to the CLO and management staff on a regular basis
- Provides support to the CLO on business development activities including participating in client and/or prospect calls.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with industry influencers and key community and strategic partners. Where appropriate, directly joins local business and community organizations as a representative of CFE or recommends other CFE employees for involvement or membership. Participates in the community outreach process, and actively participates in key community organizations, meetings, and events.
- Collaborates with Senior Loan Administrator and borrowers throughout the closing process.
- Works in partnership with other senior team members
- Day to day functions may include:
- Engaging with existing borrowers or potential clients
- Creating and analyzing financial statements spreads
- Identifying information needed to complete underwriting and assess a loan’s risk
- Conducting sectoral and business model research relevant to loan applications under review
- Performing interim and annual reviews of customer relationships and ensuring the timely renewal or resolution of expiring/expired loans, covenant compliance, and documentary requirements
- Managing relationships with co-lenders, government and community partners
- Attending business and community events to promote CFE’s products and cultivate new potential customer relationships
- Performs other duties as may be deemed necessary and appropriate.
Loan and Credit Administration
- Accountable for a loan portfolio consistent with the CFE’s credit policies, underwriting guidelines, and procedures, and its mission. Reviews loan write-ups prepared by Junior Loan Officers to ensure consistent presentation of information, monitors risk ratings and assures they are kept current and accurate, assists in the review of problem loans, and assists the collection/workout process when needed to ensure the best possible outcome and recovery for CFE.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, economics, finance, or equivalent combination of training and experience from a four (4) year college or university.
- 3+ years of experience underwriting real estate transactions, conducting business analyses, and leading transaction execution.
- The ideal candidate has a range of at least 3-5 years of experience in commercial real estate and/or commercial lending, underwriting real estate transactions, conducting business analyses, leading transaction execution, structuring deals and client relationship management.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to carry out instructions, instruct others, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence, and speak clearly to clients, customers, and employees.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience in various facets in affordable housing financing and development.
- Experience in construction management/monitoring preferred.
- Able to work with a diverse client base.
- Proven ability to build relationships with potential clients and business partners.
- Ability to deal with complex problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations.
- Ability to work without supervision while performing duties.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Critical and creative thinking.
- Interest in community development, racial equity, and inclusion.
- Experience in supervision of a team or in a leadership role.
- Strong ability to interact proactively with all levels of the organization.
In short, we are looking for an individual who would help us improve how we work day-to-day and maximize the growth and impact of our organization in the long term.
In addition to a competitive salary, commensurate to experience, CFE offers a generous benefits package that includes employee-sponsored health and dental, life insurance, health savings account with annual employer contributions, retirement plan with employer matching, paid parental leave, and a generous paid time off program.
Our robust benefits package includes:
- 403b with employer match
- Medical and dental insurance with employer contribution
- $2,800 annual HSA employer contribution for a family; $1,400 for an individual
- 16 PTO days to start; more after three years
- 11 paid holidays
- 5 paid sick days
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Remote work with 2 days per week at the office (subject to change)
- Transportation benefit
- Employer-paid life insurance
WORKING AT CFE
CFE offers a unique start-up-like work environment that is open, innovative, and collaborative. We are committed to serving the communities we work and live in by leveraging financial tools, creativity, and technology. CFE is the right fit for intellectually ambitious individuals, willing to work hard and always holding him or herself accountable to a high bar of performance.
The City First family of organizations is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our work and hiring practices. City First Enterprises entirely focuses on equality and economic inclusion and believes that diversity in opinion and background only helps further that mission.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone screen on a rolling basis.
Please use this link to send us your resume and cover letter. Questions may be directed to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
CFE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We provide equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of ethnicity, age, religion (and lack thereof), disability that can reasonably be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition (physical or mental), AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, and veteran status.