Junior Loan Officer
Salary range: $65,000-$80,000
ABOUT CITY FIRST ENTERPRISES
City First Enterprises (CFE) is a financial institution working at the intersection of financial innovation and impact investment in the quest for a more equitable economy. CFE’s capital allocation vehicle is the Equitable Growth Fund, a loan fund designed to provide accessible debt capital to entrepreneurs, innovators, and change-makers working in affordable housing, small businesses, education, nonprofits, community facilities, green energy, and commercial real estate in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
CFE is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), a designation given by the United States Treasury to organizations expanding economic opportunity in low-income communities by providing access to financial products and services for residents and businesses. CFE is part of the City First Family of organizations, including City First Bank.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at https://www.cfenterprises.org/.
The ideal person for the Junior Loan Officer position knows how to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment and has robust analytical and writing skills. They seek to play a pivotal role in a growing organization committed to mission-oriented lending across the region.
Under guidance and supervision, the Junior Loan Officer is responsible for reviewing financial data, assessing credit risk, and structuring transactions. In collaboration with the organization’s credit staff, they will perform financial analysis and provide credit recommendations based on a review of all underwriting criteria. As part of a compact team, the Junior Loan Officer’s responsibilities will expand beyond core credit analysis, contributing to business development efforts, the preparation of funding proposals, and performing periodic reports to potential and existing funders, including federal agencies and major philanthropic institutions, among others. Versatility and flexibility across a broad spectrum of intellectual and business tasks are essential.
The Junior Loan Officer will focus primarily on CFE’s affordable housing and climate-focused lending initiatives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs financial statement analyses and independently interprets them, delivering written reviews of financial information.
- Handles loan originations from beginning to end under the supervision of senior staff.
- Day to day functions may include:
- Creating and analyzing financial statement spreads
- Identifying information needed to complete credit analysis by reviewing due diligence materials
- Conducting research relevant to loan applications under review
- Performing interim and annual financial loan monitoring, in close collaboration with Portfolio Manager
- Contacting borrowers to solicit updated financial information as required
- Assists in the preparation of proposals and periodic reports to funders.
- Collaborates with Loan Administrator throughout the closing process
- Works with senior team members on business development activities, including participating in client and/or prospect calls and representing the organization in meetings with potential business partners.
- Performs other duties as may be deemed necessary and appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, and EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from a four-year college or university, or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience with commercial real estate transactions and knowledge of affordable housing development finance is preferred, but not required.
- Ideal candidate has 2-4 years of experience in mission-oriented financial analysis, deal structuring, and relationship management.
- Experience in nonprofits and finance is preferred for this position.
- Strong writing and composition skills.
- Entrepreneurial approach to work (a must).
- Experience or interest in working with diverse low-income communities.
- Proven ability to build relationships with potential clients and business partners.
- Spanish is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in Excel is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of and/or interest in community development, racial equity, and inclusion.
In short, we are looking for an individual who would help us improve how we work day-to-day and maximize the growth and impact of our organization in the long term.
The right fit is someone who is intellectually ambitious, willing to work hard, and always holding themself accountable to a high bar of performance. Sounds like you or someone you know?
In addition to a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, CFE offers a generous benefits package that includes employee-sponsored health and dental, life insurance, a health savings account with annual employer contributions, a retirement plan with employer matching, paid parental leave, and a generous paid-time-off program.
Our robust benefits package includes:
403b with employer match
Medical and dental insurance with employer contribution
$2,800 annual HSA employer contribution for a family; $1,400 for an individual
16 PTO days to start; more after three years
11 paid holidays
5 paid sick days
Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
Flexible time for personal appointments
Remote work with 1 day at the office
Paid transportation (Metro or parking)
Employer-paid life insurance
WORKING AT CFE
CFE offers a unique start-up-like work environment that is open, innovative, and collaborative. We are committed to serving the communities we work and live in by leveraging financial tools, creativity, and technology. CFE is the right fit for intellectually ambitious individuals, willing to work hard and always holding him or herself accountable to a high bar of performance.
The City First family of organizations is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our work and hiring practices. City First Enterprises entirely focuses on equality and economic inclusion and believes that diversity in opinion and background only helps further that mission.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone screen on a rolling basis.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Careers@cfenterprises.org. Preference is given to those who submit resumes with cover letters. No phone calls, please.
CFE IS AN EQUAL-OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We provide equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of ethnicity, age, religion (and lack thereof), disability that can reasonably be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition (physical or mental), AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, and veteran status.