Salary range: $70,000-$90,000
ABOUT CITY FIRST ENTERPRISES
City First Enterprises helps achieve racial, economic, and social equity by providing underinvested communities with access to capital and financial expertise. We administer a social impact loan fund, and our borrowers are entrepreneurs and innovators who work in affordable housing, education, small business, the nonprofit sector, and on climate-focused initiatives–in particular green energy. With decades of experience as a Community Development Financial Institution, or CDFI, CFE has an unparalleled legacy of frontline community development in the DC and Baltimore metropolitan areas.
To learn more, please visit us at https://www.cfenterprises.org/.
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the person selected for this position will perform finance and accounting functions including day-to-day operations in connection with budget development, payroll, payables, daily transaction processing, month-end and year-end closes, monthly financial report preparation (e.g., Finance & Audit Committee and Board financial presentations), cash flow planning/analysis, and outside audit facilitation. The position is also tasked with the production and submission of periodic financial and programmatic reports to creditors, funders, and partners.
To fulfill this position successfully, an individual must endeavor to master CFE’s Sage Intacct accounting system and seek to drastically improve the system’s reporting capabilities. With the help of outside consultants and under the guidance of the Director of Finance, this accountant must develop initiatives aimed at enhancing the system’s implementation and utilization across the organization.
- Maintain all systems of accounts and records
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting, on a monthly basis, to the Director of Finance
- Facilitate annual audit and tax return reporting, and assist with the fulfillment of other compliance requirements of the organization
- Help the Director of Finance provide adhoc financial reporting, as needed, that assists other team members in carrying out their duties and responsibilities
- Lead independent projects meant to enhance the efficiency of CFE’s accounting systems or the timeliness of the team’s financial reporting
- Develop new reports and improve organization within the Sage Intacct accounting system
- Improve systems for segregating and tracking CFE’s different lines of business and their financial trajectories
- Prepare an annual accounting budget for evaluation by the Director of Finance
- Develop a system of reporting that helps the Director of Finance monitor the fulfillment of CFE’s financial obligations
- Record and/or monitor the recording of daily cash transactions
- Ensure that accounts payable are properly recorded and paid in a timely manner
- Record all grant activity and ensure appropriate documentation is maintained
- Accurately record complex transactions and make adjustments to the general ledger via journal entries
- Work with the Director of Portfolio Operations to ensure that the status of accounts receivable is properly reflected in the accounting system
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations are completed timely
- Reconcile other balance sheet accounts as required
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on time
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or a related field of study
- At least 2 – 5 years’ experience in an accounting role
- Solid bookkeeping skills and good exposure to financial statements, financial position compilations, and/or tax compliance
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat
- Strong problem-solving skills and interest in continuously improving systems and processes
- Detailed-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Skilled in both verbal and written communication
- Strong analytical skills and an ability to learn quickly and adapt to fluid work demands
- Experience with multi-programming/fund accounting or the IRS Form 990
- Familiarity with non-profit compliance issues or federal grant reporting requirements
- Exposure to accounting system reporting or process development; in particular, exposure to a Sage Intacct accounting system build-out
- Experience maintaining effective internal controls and audit preparation
- CPA, or seeking CPA certification
CFE offers an entrepreneurial environment where personal growth is expected and encouraged We seek a team member who will provide competent, thorough, courteous, and efficient service to other team members, as well as our external stakeholders, with minimal direction, guidance, and oversight.
In addition to a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, CFE offers a generous benefits package that includes employee-sponsored health and dental, life insurance, a health savings account with annual employer contributions, a retirement plan with employer matching, paid parental leave, and a generous paid-time-off program.
Our robust benefits package includes:
403b with employer match
Medical and dental insurance with employer contribution
$2,800 annual HSA employer contribution for a family; $1,400 for an individual
16 PTO days to start; more after three years
11 paid holidays
5 paid sick days
Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
Flexible time for personal appointments
Remote work with 1 day at the office
Paid transportation (Metro or parking)
Employer-paid life insurance
WORKING AT CFE
CFE offers a unique start-up-like work environment that is open, innovative, and collaborative. We are committed to serving the communities we work and live in by leveraging financial tools, creativity, and technology. CFE is the right fit for intellectually ambitious individuals, willing to work hard and always holding him or herself accountable to a high bar of performance.
The City First family of organizations is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our work and hiring practices. City First Enterprises entirely focuses on equality and economic inclusion and believes that diversity in opinion and background only helps further that mission.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone screen on a rolling basis.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Careers@cfenterprises.org. No phone calls, please.
CFE IS AN EQUAL-OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We provide equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of ethnicity, age, religion (and lack thereof), disability that can reasonably be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition (physical or mental), AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, and veteran status.