Accounting & Budget Manager
Salary range: $90,000-$110,000
ABOUT CITY FIRST ENTERPRISES
City First Enterprises (CFE) is a financial institution working at the intersection of financial innovation and impact investment in the quest for a more equitable economy. CFE’s commercial loan fund is designed to provide accessible debt capital to entrepreneurs, innovators, and change-makers working in affordable housing, small businesses, education, nonprofits, community facilities, green energy, and commercial real estate in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Homes by CFE, an initiative of CFE, is a down payment assistance program that provides eligible Black and Latino families with funds for homeownership.
CFE and Homes by CFE are Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI), a designation given by the United States Treasury to organizations expanding economic opportunity in low-income communities by providing access to financial products and services for residents and businesses.
CFE is seeking a senior-level accountant with experience in grant, fund, and/or cost accounting. The Accounting Manager/Budget Analyst will manage the operational expenses for our growing non-profit, along with traditional grant budgeting and accounting duties. This individual will also lead efforts related to overall operational cost management, analytics, and segregation. Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration, this individual will work to establish strong and effective internal controls regarding cash disbursements and discretionary spending, as well as roll out accounting policies. This position will collaborate with the Senior Manager of Impact and Development on grant application budgets, financial metrics, and reporting. This position offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to the smooth operation of our accounting and administration functions.
CFE offers an entrepreneurial environment where personal growth is expected and encouraged. Applicants to this position can see this position as a means to gain quick and broad exposure to the duties typically performed by a financial or budget analyst while still being able to utilize existing accounting skills.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Grant Budgeting, Tracking, and Reporting Duties:
- Work with the Senior Manager of Impact and Development and various other team leaders, as needed, to develop budgets for grant applications
- Develop a reliable and consistent means of tracking the company’s Financial Metrics for use by Development, Finance, and ultimately, the Board of Directors.
- Prepare grant agreement compliance reporting, or portions of it, for review by team leaders.
- Be responsible for proper tracking of grant restrictions and spend-downs
- Assist with visual presentations of Metric dashboards or materials before Board meetings
- Lead completion of any Close-Out Reporting required in grant agreements
Accounting Policy Writing & Duties:
- Assist the Director of Finance & Administration with establishing and implementing effective accounting policies and procedures that properly address internal controls and cash disbursement fraud prevention
- Be responsible for cost segmentation within Sage Intacct – among business segments, funding sources, and possibly other divisions
- Monitor accounting department e-mail for bills and ensure timely recording of Accounts Payable within Sage Intacct (our accounting system); therefore, ensuring available data on actual expenses against budgeted amounts in real-time
- Serve as a participant in any accounting process, as needed (i.e., Accounts Payable)
- Handle credit card reconciliations, as needed, to support accounting team members
- Help to establish and maintain a secure paperless accounting environment
- Assist with the company’s annual Audit where appropriate
Payroll Processing & Cash Flow Management:
- Be responsible for the processing of payroll (the organization’s largest expenditure) and payroll tax compliance on a bi-weekly basis, as well as W-2s on an annual basis
- Coordinate with the Business Support Manager to ensure payroll salaries and deductions are updated on a timely basis & in accordance with accrual accounting
- Eventually, take on and implement improvement projects related to payroll processing.
- Maintain cash flow forecasting models monthly
- Participate in the creation of annual financial or cash flow projections as needed
Budget Management & Analysis:
- Prepare an Annual Budget each year
- In coordination with the Director of Finance & Administration, drive the Annual Budget cycle, ensuring deadlines are met and information is disseminated in a timely manner
- Work towards creating individual department budgets and monitor teams’ adherence to those budgets
- Work with Business Support Manager and Accountant to find easy and secure ways to manage vendors and bill payments for all operational expense categories
- Help implement and utilize expense management technology or AI (via Ramp platform) that facilitates frictionless receipt collection and creates greater visibility to management about how money is being spent.
- Be able to effectively document the development of expense management procedures, as well as communicate such procedures to staff in some cases.
- Utilize Sage Intacct Budgets vs. Actuals reporting to communicate company performance and proactively manage costs.
In addition to a competitive salary commensurate with experience, CFE offers a generous benefits package that includes employer-sponsored health and dental, life insurance, a health savings account with annual employer contributions, a retirement plan with employer matching, paid parental leave, and a generous paid time off program.
Our robust benefits package includes:
- 403b with employer match
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance with employer contribution
- $2,800 annual HSA employer contribution for a family; $1,400 for an individual for HSA Plans
- 16 PTO days to start; more after three years
- 13 paid holidays (10 Federal, the day after Thanksgiving, and the Fridays before Memorial and Labor Day)
- 7 paid sick days
- End of Year Winter Break
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Remote work with 2 days per week at the office (subject to change)
- Transportation benefit
- Employer-paid Group Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, and Long-Term Disability Insurance
WORKING AT CFE
CFE offers a unique start-up-like work environment that is open, innovative, and collaborative. We are committed to serving the communities we work and live in by leveraging financial tools, creativity, and technology. CFE is the right fit for intellectually ambitious individuals who are willing to work hard and always hold themselves accountable to a high bar of performance.
The City First family of organizations is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our work and hiring practices. City First Enterprises entirely focuses on equality and economic inclusion and believes that diversity in opinion and background only helps further that mission.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an initial phone screen on a rolling basis.
CFE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We provide equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of ethnicity, age, religion (and lack thereof), disability that can reasonably be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition (physical or mental), AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, and veteran status.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND EDUCATION
- 4 – 7 years’ experience in an accounting or finance position during which progression to a more senior role can be observed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from a four (4) year college or university or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Experience with grant, project cost, or fund accounting is required
- Proficient comprehension of how to build or read financial statements or financial budgets
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat
- Detailed-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Skilled in both verbal and written communication, including a willingness to present information to team members
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with an ability to learn quickly and adapt to fluid work demands
- Exposure to an accounting system like Sage Intacct or Quickbooks
- An interest in continuously improving systems or processes
- Experience with an audit or Single Audit process
- Familiarity with non-profit compliance issues or federal grant reporting requirements
- Knowledge of auditing or internal controls
- CPA or CFA, or seeking CPA or CFA certification
Please use the Paylocity portal to send us your resume and cover letter. Questions may be directed to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.